Grow your business?
Make a difference?
Share your expertise?
Express your creativity?
- Welcome and introduction (5:50)
- Establishing goals and expectations (3:46)
- Knowing the purpose of your book (5:20)
- Knowing your reader (6:09)
- Activity: Week 1 Worksheet
- Resource: Top 6 Books on Writing
- Week 2 Overview (3:15)
- Prewriting (7:22)
- Prewriting survey
- Outlining (7:21)
- Outlining survey
- A regular practice of writing (6:09)
- Research for your book (4:27)
- Week 2 Conclusion (2:33)
- Activity: Week 2 Worksheet
- Resource: Prewriting and Outlining
- Resource: 6 Writing and Editing Tools to Help You Write Your Book
- Week 3 Overview (3:48)
- Form and Content (16:29)
- Form and Content survey
- Narrative Technique: Sentences (6:46)
- Narrative Technique: Framing (4:19)
- Narrative Technique: Storytelling (4:18)
- Week 3 Conclusion (1:28)
- Activity: Week 3 Worksheet
- Resource: Sentenced to Death!
- Course Feedback Survey
- Week 4 Overview (2:46)
- Making Meaning and Reader Response Theory (6:57)
- Movements, Turns, Acts (9:10)
- Continuity and Controlling Idea (2:52)
- Week 4 Conclusion (2:03)
- Week 4 Worksheet
- Resource: Readers' Expectations
- Week 5 Overview (1:46)
- Self-critique and Self-reflection (4:40)
- Dealing with Overwhelm (6:41)
- Week 5 Conclusion (1:13)
- Week 5 Worksheet
- Resource: Dealing with Overwhelm
- Week 6 Overview (2:11)
- Intensive Writing Week (5:11)
- Motivation to Write (7:02)
- Week 6 Conclusion (2:12)
- Week 6 Worksheet
- Week 7 Overview (2:02)
- Manuscript Preparation + Live Demo! (11:15)
- Working with an Editor (12:52)
- Editing and Proofreading Demo! (6:40)
- Week 7 Conclusion (1:10)
- Resource: Formatting, Beta Readers, & Editing
- Week 8 Overview (1:23)
- Self-Publishing Crash Course (13:24)
- Course Evaluation (4:12)
- Evaluations: Course Evaluation and Self-Evaluation
- Week 8 Conclusion (2:20)
- Resource: Self-Publishing Checklist
You have a story to tell and we can help you tell it.
We help authors write their book through a structured, step-by-step process & 1-on-1 personal coaching.
This program will help you get a full draft manuscript written in 8 weeks!
A writing mentorship program made for new and emerging writers, tailored to fit your writing project, with individual support and feedback from us, a writer-editor dream team.
Work with us to move towards your writing goals!
Jon is a writer, researcher, and teacher. He is the author of Everyday Dissent: Politics and Resistance in Newfoundland and Labrador, a self-published book based on his journalism.
He has a PhD in English (from Memorial University) and has taught university-level writing courses and workshops for undergraduate and graduate students. He has helped hundreds of students improve their writing and learn the fundamentals of effective storytelling.
His writing covers a range of topics and genres with a focus on creative nonfiction:
- published over 50 articles in the NL Independent,
- written and curated a number of writing and teaching websites including his personal website,
- published poetry and short fiction, and
- published numerous academic journal articles in a variety of peer-reviewed journals, as well as writing a PhD dissertation.
Erika founded E.S. Editing Services in 2012 and has been working with academics, entrepreneurs, and self-publishing writers ever since. She loves working with driven and creative people, people with big dreams who want to make a difference and share their expertise and insights with the world.
Erika has an MA in Philosophy (from Brock University) and is a longstanding member of Editors Canada. She has worked as an in-house editor for traditional publishing companies, but she’s most fulfilled helping people write books and navigate the ever-evolving world of self-publishing.
Everyone has a story to tell and Erika loves facilitating that process for writers.